Monday, October 30, 2006

Nicknames...

are fun. Well, when they're given by people who are kind and they mean it in an endearing way. Here are a few that I have been called over the years that make me smile...

Disaster Sister (Ellie)
Nora-girl (a college friend who still sometimes calles me that)
No/ NoNo (Sarah)
Dr. Strong (a co-worker in STL, I think because I am a know-it-all)
Dr. Barr (a maintenance worker at school who always raids my Ibuprofin collection)
The trollope (Pete)
Barbie (guess who's Ken? also from Pete and my mom)
Shoog (You know sugar cut in half? That's Joel...)

I think my students have worse names for me...but I won't print them here.

What are yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some jerk nicknaked me "Nacho Head" once as a child, then there was "Shoe Polish Head" and don't forget "Stinkerbell." but I got her back by calling her "Norma Rae" and telling them all what she left on the bottom of Lake Allegan!

Meander said...

I don't know how you ever survived your traumatic childhood, but hopefully such atrocities just made you stronger...

Anonymous said...

Youknow what your new nickname is, but I being nice will not publish it.

La Sirena said...

Sorry, Nora. I know the nickname Ma gave you. (Hint: It rhymes with Smart Possum.)

No one ever gave me a nickname -- except Jaybird. He used to call my stubbornly independent persona Hazel and my grumpy morning persona Bertha. As in,
"Good morning, Bertha. Why don't you (quickly) get yourself some coffee."