Saturday, January 21, 2006

Should I stay or should I go?

A friend sent me an evite to a college reunion hosted at a bar close to my house in a few weeks. I haven't decided if I will go or not yet, but it does have me meandering down memory lane.

Mostly I feel like I am so lucky. I really had, for me, the perfect college experience. I had so much fun (of the virtuous and not so virtuous kind). I learned stuff too. (Nice work English Education department because I felt really prepared to handle teaching when I entered the work force.) I also had some bad times of the clench your stomach, fall on the floor in a ball and sob your eyes out variety. (In retrospect over nothing, but those sorts of things build character, right?) I even had a few scares from crazy professors, sketchy guys, and evil women. So, I think pretty well-rounded over all.

But I wonder if the eight (holy shit!) years that have passed since graduation have served to put a fine gloss over it all, and when seeing all those people who I used to see on a regular basis but now haven't seen in almost a decade will reduce me to the insecure person I probably was back then. And I don't really like Bourbon Street.

1 comment:

Woodlandmama said...

Eight years, ha ha you're old. Seriously, just go it's never as bad as you think.