Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Early Bird...



One sign that I have been at my school for too long: On Wednesday, a student pulled the fire alarm. Twice. As I am trudging out into the cold January day for the second time without a coat, my first thought is… “The students need to find out who is doing this so that they can kick his ass.” Sensitive.

I used to be though. Sensitive, that is. I was an idealist, which is why I am teaching there in the first place. Still, I don’t like this jaded person that I am becoming. But I love most of the students and the time in my classroom. I love my co-workers. It is all the other crap that I can’t stand. Our kids go crazy in the hall and in the lunchroom. Much of the policy and mixed messages that we are given on a daily basis, I can leave behind as well.

One student asked me yesterday, “Mrs. Barr is there a job where you eat a lot, complain all the time, and still get paid a whole lot of money?” Other than the whole lot of money part, perhaps THAT IS my job.

In other news…Look at the ungodly hour that I am posting. I have been awake for an hour. What is wrong with me that I am wide awake at this time on a Saturday morning? I might be good and go work out though. Or, maybe I’ll make some pancakes…

I watched Must Love Dogs from Netflix last night. Diane Lane is beautiful and funny. John Cusack was as charming as always. There were some very witty lines in the movie. And there was a whole lot of crap too. I don’t ask for a lot in movies, just make it somewhat plausible. And I am getting tired of that scene in all comedies aimed at women known as “the wacky singing number”. It may have started with My Best Friends Wedding when they sing “I Say A Little Prayer”. Or maybe it came earlier, but it seems like in any movie now when they want to show that the characters are Quirky! And Fun! they have to have a sing along of some kitschy song from the sixties or seventies to illustrate this. I actually have dorky sing-a-longs with my family on a regular basis, embarrassingly enough… so I am a huge fan of the sing-a-long, and EVEN I am sick of these scenes. I wonder how people who never sing feel about this trend.

No comments: