Wednesday, August 03, 2005

(mis)spellbinding

Sometimes when people have just met me for the first time they will say something along the lines of, "Oh, I better watch what I say around you; you're an English teacher." I hate this reputation. Embarrassingly enough, I do love grammar. However, I have not perfected it and, in fact, struggle with spelling and certain illogical-seeming rules of standard English. With this in mind, I try never to correct other people's grammar. It is rude.

On the other hand, I take an unnatural delight in correcting Joel's grammar and/or spelling. This is because he gets the chance to correct mine much more frequently. And let me tell you, there is not much better for the relationship, I'm sure, than being told, "I think you mean 'me' there not 'I'." Grrrrr. Still, those delightful five times (yes I am counting) that I was able to correct him were so sweet. I felt no shame in dancing around the living room with the dictionary in my hand.Good times people.
NKB

No comments: