Sunday, August 21, 2005

Disappointing movies...

I hate movie build-up. This has happened twice in the last week. I thought Broken Flowers was good, not great. I saw The Aristocrats a few days later. It was terribly funny at some points, and actually a bit dull at others. Sideways is another film that comes to mind when thinking about this topic.

I do love it when you know nothing about a movie, go to see it, and are tremendously surprised at how amazing/ interesting it is. I can't think of too many that I have felt this way about, but a few are Whale Rider, Ponette, The Shawshank Redemption, Seven, and... that is all I've got right now. I'm sure there are others. Admittedly, I don't have the most high brow tastes in film. I like a good story. Character study is impressive, but I still like a plot. And I love it when most questions are answered. There are probably a lot of Logan Square hipsters who would scorn these choices of "surprising films", but I suppose that just makes more room in the theatre for those of us lovin' plot-driven movies.

-NKB

No comments: