Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Things I like...

Probably most things were better in the good old days. It seems every generation thinks so. Even I am guilty of bemoaning the state of the modern world because things were so much better when I was growing up. (Halloween, playgrounds, shopping malls, etc.) However there are times when technology and modern advancements can actually be an improvement on the way things used to be. So, at the risk of being called Barbie, I am going to occasionally blog about them under the category "Things I like..."

*The Bundle Me by JJ Cole. This fabulous little invention is attached to Dex's car seat. I can zip him in on cold days and not worry about putting him in a horrendous "I can't put my arms down" kind of snowsuit. Plus, when he is in it, little old ladies just say, "I wish I had one of those" instead of yelling at me for bringing the baby out in such weather.

*Trader Joes... I know that many corporate places are ruining the nations economy and threatening our individuality, but try as I might, I just can't find anything wrong with Trader Joes. Yes, I love mom and pop groceries, (family- remember Henry's Finer Foods/Seven Day? Joe's Butcher Shop with Hole in One Doughnuts?) But I must admit to being Trader Joes obsessed. The prices! The healthy, yummy foods! The funny writing in their sale paper! The customer service!

*Organized play dates... Okay, I'm going to get some flack for this...but the neighborhood organization that puts together play dates has been helpful to me. I like the women I am matched up with, and now have met other women in my neighborhood who have kids around the same age as Dexter. Plus now I don't have to bore my family and friends with all my breast feeding stories. (Though I do anyway.)

*www.imdb.com: If you are a movie/TV/and trivia lover what could be better than the Internet Movie Database? (There you are watching Godspell. Who is that guy playing Jesus? He looks SO familiar. IMDB it and you find out Holy Crap! It's Victor Garber, the father from Alias. Plus you can find out when movies are coming out. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader? Sorry. Not until 2008.)

*Netflix. I always return movies late. Now I just have to mail them at my leisure. Plus it seems the fastest way to mail them is by leaving them sticking out of my mailbox for the mailman. How lazy can you be? LAZY! And, they have so many more movies AND TV shows. Plus, I don't agree with the politics of the CEO of Blockbuster so now I don't have to give them my money anymore.

So see? Even though I heart nostalgia, sometimes progress can be a good thing. While I don't think you should sell your soul to the devil for the sake of a bit of convenience, why not recognize a good thing when you see it? Plus coming up with a new invention is one embodiment of the American dream. Sometimes progress can be a good thing.

5 comments:

Woodlandmama said...

It's Prince Caspian Not the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We've got to make him king before we send him off on a cruise!

Pelmo said...

I will agree on Trader Joe's, because of there prices and selection.
The ORGANIZED play dates the jury is out.
The point I try to make on some of the other things, is that we let originals disappear by not patronizing them. Then someone brings them back with fake decor and high prices and people flock to it for the nostalgia.

Meander said...

I agree with you Pete. Mostly I just wanted to tease you a bit.

Meander said...

Liza- You are right, but isn't it nice that we have the imdb to prove it?

Woodlandmama said...

Indeed, and you can also use it to look up our cousin.