Wednesday, June 27, 2007

St. Nora of the Drama Queens

Jennifer was recently writing about her long history with Wonder Woman. But she also mentions another Strong Girl Family Favorite.
Picture Book of Saints.

I don't know how many hours my sisters and I spent poring over this epic tome. I chose the confirmation name Cecelia because she had the prettiest picture in the book. Seriously. We also would "Play Saints". My favorite to play was St. Agnes. She was tied up and starved (if memory serves) because she wouldn't marry Sempronius' son. First he tried to burn her at the stake but the fire wouldn't touch her so he immediately beheaded her. Anyway...I might have to pick up a copy for some light summer reading.

2 comments:

La Sirena said...

Saints be praised! At $9.95, I may have to buy a copy. St. Cecilia did have the prettiest picture -- of course, she IS patroness of music. I particularly enjoyed St. Dympha's tale. She had a most excellent outfit, plus the telenovela storyline -- attempted incest, getting locked in a tower and a beheading. And she is patroness of the mentally ill.

Also, I liked St. Maria Goretti. There was a certain illuminated humanity to her portrait an she was SO young. Until a certain hypocritical priest ruined it for me forever in 7th grade, using it as an object lesson in which bloody martyrdom was presented as a preferable choice to illegal ravishment. Asshole!

Woodlandmama said...

I liked St. Dymphna as well, but for obvious reasons Elizabeth was always my favorite. Though I don't remember playing saints. I do remember a certain pregnant nun with a broken leg though.