Saturday, June 16, 2007

She does, in fact, meander...



(Due to the angle of the photo Dexter's head looks ENORMOUS! I swear I didn't Photoshop this to make him look like a Baby Bobblehead. He's still the CBE!)

I celebrated the start of summer vacation with a nap in the hammock with the little man and a long walk in the neighborhood with little and big man. And I am sitting here this morning with two months and two weeks of vacation time ahead of me feeling that I am, perhaps, one of the luckiest people in the world. I am enjoying a quiet moment of calm, feet up, while Joel and Dex are sleeping upstairs. One reason for this joy I feel right now is the anticipation of the long days of summer that stretch out ahead of me. So I went to my trusty friend Google to see what words of wisdom people have to offer about "anticipation". (I know I am a freak...I know it is 6:30 in the morning. However, this non-coffee drinker feels in the morning the way most people feel at about noon or one. Then by eight at night I am drooling into my Entertainment Weekly while Joel encourages me to go to bed.) Anyway, imagine my surprise to learn that most of the commonly quoted people don't find "anticipation" in and of itself to be a particularly good thing:

“Expecting is the greatest impediment to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, it loses today.” -Seneca (hmm... fine. Way to put a damper on my post "ancient Roman philosopher".)

“If pleasures are greatest in anticipation, just remember that this is also true of troubles” -Elbert Hubbard (I'd be focused on my troubles too if my name was Elbert.)

“The poetry is all in the anticipation, for there is none in reality” -Mark Twain (Oh Samuel, you had me at 'a good walk spoiled'.)

Since I can't find anyone else to summarily describe my current bliss I'll have to do it myself: I don't have to go to work for the next eleven Mondays.

2 comments:

La Sirena said...

Or as kinda crazy Carly says,

"So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting."

Jane said...

Is that from the ketchup commercial?


I wonder what the results for the word "savor" would be? I always savored my quiet early mornings in my backyard, knowing my girls were safely snoozing in their beds.