Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recipe Attempt 1: Basic Quiche

When we were little my mom used to make Quiche Lorraine a lot. I was a very picky eater, but this was one of my faves. My mom used to work for Magic Chef in the early 80's so we had a microwave pretty early on. Her job involved creating microwave recipes and demonstrating them for people at department stores. I think we were guinea pigs, but I liked this particular Magic Chef recipe so no complaints here. (Though I am still skeptical of her claims of doing a whole Thanksgiving dinner in the microwave. C'mon mom, that's just disrespectful to the pilgrims.)

OK in How to Cook Everything (HTCE) Mark Bittman suggests you make a Quiche pie crust from scratch. That would probably taste better, but I am dipping my toes in right now, so I bought a Marie Callender ready made pie crust. I did follow MB's directions to poke several holes in it with a fork, cover it with tin foil and put some beans on the tin foil to weight it down. I followed his advice to use Gruyere, 2 cups cream, and 6 eggs, but then I added bacon because who doesn't luurrrve bacon? (Jen, but I think everyone else does). I also added some chives from my garden. So following the recipe in spirit anyway.

Final results? I liked it a lot. I made two and gave one to the neighbors who have a new baby. They seemed to like it. Joel didn't have seconds, which doesn't bode well for his enjoyment, but for a nice, easy, but not healthy recipe this one was pretty good. Plus it provided a trip down memory lane. I'll give it a B.

5 comments:

Pelmo said...

So typical of you. A basic yuppie meal, instead of the good old fashioned, stick to your ribs meat, potatoes and a vegetable as your first meal.

I don't care if you dress the litle lad like a yuppie, but at least feed him the flesh of dead animals, and I'm not talking about boneless and skinless healthy chicken.

Meander said...

Real men eat quiche Pelmo. Plus, I learned it from a lady you happen to love very much.

Jane said...

Hmmm, I haven't made it in awhile; maybe I will soon...better yet, maybe I'll drop in at my daughter's and try hers!

Pelmo said...

Listen Ms Sassy Lassy, real men after the age of 6 months are not supposed to eat food that can be eaten with a spoon, or a sippy cup.

May I suggest some artery clogging food for your next adventure in cooking.

Anonymous said...

hi, Joel Norah Dexter and Forrest!

David and Martha recommend all of you highly, which fits right in with our exalted positions! Don't know if this is correct way to communicate, but if you get this, know we love you! The site is enjoyable-I hadn't contacted it for some time and had lost the address. Love, Dick and Brenda