Saturday, March 10, 2007

Light the corners of my mind...

So, as you probably know, Woodland Mama gave us a blog assignment. (I suggested the idea... I thought it'd be fun and now I'm the last to do my homework. Bad teacher.) Since I am a visual learner I chose a memory that had accompanying photos.

When we were younger there were two ice cream parlors on our family's radar. There was Jeromes in Scottsdale shopping center. (I couldn't read yet though so I thought it was dromes) And there was Farrell's in Ford City. The confusion began, at least for me, because Liza called Farrell's "Drums". (They used to bang a loud drum when singing happy birthday and because that was so cool, a lot of people went there for their birthday. Liza did not like those drums though. She would sometimes moan "no drums" and cover her ears. We know she was little, but Jen and I would want to hide her in the closet because of our burning desire to get to go.)

In any case, Farrell's rocked my little world. I loved the "marble" tables and the pleather banquettes. I loved the old timey photos and fonts (I didn't know it was called a font then.). I loved the piles and piles of whipped cream and maraschino cherries in a way that only a little kid CAN love maraschino cherries. I loved the straw hats and striped shirts the employees wore. But most of all, I loved the candy store. I loved that candy store in a way that is sort of difficult to explain.
First of all, let me be clear in telling you that we almost never got anything from the candy store. I am not telling you this in an "I was so deprived" kind of way. Honestly, I don't think I could have handled it if my mom or dad said, "Go pick out one thing." My little brain would have surely short-circuited. I just wanted to look. The Farrell's candy store was a thing to behold. Hundreds of colorful, confectionery masterpieces were suspended together on racks and poles that blew my little five year old mind. I just wanted to sit and stare at it for hours.

We went to Farrell's on my birthday and Jen's birthday. I don't think we went for Liza's. And while, after twenty-five years or so the visits are lumped together in my mind, I vividly remember the sheer thrill that news of a visit to Farrell's brought me and the awe of the wall of lollipops.



In searching for photos for this post I read the rather interesting history of the Farrell's franchise. There is one open again in Santa Clarita, California. If I ever find myself there I would probably feel compelled to stop, but I also fear I would leave disappointed.



3 comments:

Woodlandmama said...

I loved everything about Farrell's EXCEPT that drum. It was way too bassy for me. But I loved the fun toys they had there especially the little booth that you went in and picked up the telephone and got to watch a woody woodpecker cartoon and hear it over the phone.

Meander said...

I TOTALLY forot about that! We drove by Ford City today and I looked at all the ugly buildings that are there in its place and it made me sad.

La Sirena said...

Yeah... that lame bank branch.

I forgot about the fun cartoon booth, too. Thanks much, my dearest Liza.

Being older than you both, I experienced most visits as fun and awesome -- and a couple that sucked. I think Shelly F invited me there once just so she could spend time excluding me. Girls CAN suck.

But mostly when I think of Farrell's, I think of us there as a happy family having a blast. Tho I do remember Liza hating the drums and feeling kinda bad about that,

And hello! The candy store -- how decadent and wonderful was that place??? Rock candy in rainbow colors???