Monday, April 10, 2006

You've bewitched me body and soul...

The title is from my favorite line in Pride and Prejudice. If you haven't seen it yet and you like that sort of thing, go to the video store now! (Sigh) Mr. Darcy, Mr. Darcy, Mr. Darcy..

That is the best of several new movies I have seen lately. I also highly recommend The Squid and the Whale . Being a child of parents who divorced in the mid (I guess technically late) eighties it struck me as particularly poignant, but I think most viewers would enjoy. (Though maybe not for the prudish.)

I just finished The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B, which I was reading for my book club. The verdict there is that I really love historical fiction, but enjoy it more when I don't read too much of it all together. I also enjoyed Family and Other Accidents. A well-written novel about families that makes me glad I am not a man. On a side note, why do all books that come out now have the title, a colon, and then the words "a novel"? Really, if you look at 90% of the fiction published in the last three years you will see this. It is really annoying because, well, duh. Imagine lacing up your shoes and getting ready for a walk and seeing New Balance: a sneaker. Ridiculous. (and did I really just write sneaker? Am I like 80?)

Anyway, I am on spring break so I am looking forward to more reading and movie watching ahead. Feel free to make recommendations.

No comments: